Followers

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

The last train to Ritzville

 In the excitement to get home, I crossed over into Idaho and kept pushing past Coeur D'Alene into Spokane WA, I was looking for a KOA campground to have my last night under canvas, so to speak, but I didn't find anything. I pulled off the road at a sign for Ritzville, and thought it might be interesting 😎. 




I found an old motel called the Top Hat which had seen better days as they say, but as I saw the manager out cleaning the rooms, I had a fair idea it would be OK. 

I parked up outside while she finished my room and took a walk past the huge grain Elevator. It was hot and dusty, I was getting tired, and I had promised myself a cold beer to celebrate my last night on the road, so I headed back to sign in.

I was told the Owls might keep me awake as they hunted mice in the grain silo, but it was the constant rail freight shunting just outside the door ( it seemed that way) that did the job.

I slept for a little while and got up at 5 to shower and pack up for the 5 hour journey across the grain fields of Western Washington, to the lush and very green Pacific Northwest. The traffic was pretty light for a Monday morning, but I was too excited to notice too much. I pulled up at the ferry dock, paid for my ticket, and sat in line as the ferry unloaded its commuters.




It is only a 15 minute crossing to get to Vashon, yet probably one of the longest 15 minutes I had experienced for some time. I drove up the hill to our house and parked in front of the huge that seated our yard from the road. I had only been in the house for 15 minutes, but when I got out, the postman/postperson had left me a snotty little sticker asking me not to block our post box. 

Welcome home xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

The last train to Ritzville

 In the excitement to get home, I crossed over into Idaho and kept pushing past Coeur D'Alene into Spokane WA, I was looking for a KOA c...